Wednesday, 22 August 2012

'Girlfriend Mode' offends critics

How about we find a new way to stereotype gamers?



This article got a lot of people hot under the collar; a game developer used the term 'girlfriend mode' when describing a gameplay feature that made the game more accessible to non-gamers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/08/13/borderlands-2-gearbox-stu_n_1771983.html?ir=UK+Tech

I think that the remarks a fairly dumb thing to say, but I don't have any problem with the stereotype itself.

I think it is fair to say that the majority of gamers (whether 90% of 55%, I don't know) are male, and certainly the most prevalent stereotype is of a fat, late-20s man on a couch with a console.

I also think that the feature the dev is talking about is a great idea. Whether it is aimed at making gamers more accessible to their partners, or making it easier for people to get into games, I think it is great.

I think, since gamers are the subject of so many stereotypes, the comment by this developer should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Also, for your viewing pleasure, I give you... World of Wifecraft."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVhwwFHGEFI

No comments:

Post a Comment