Monday, 12 August 2013

Back in the blogging seat!

So it's been a while since I found time to blog, and a few things have happened. I started training and fundraising for an epic 2-day ride called the Ride to Conquer Cancer (link here), and I have become the secretary of the newly-formed Port Pirie Triathlon Club, called the Pirie Ranges Tri Club.

In other news, my keyboard has been abused by about 30,000 words typed since my last post, and it is beginning to drive me crazy. Time for a replacement, I think, and I beg you not to make any dirty jokes.

My noise complaint about the dentist next door has been ramped up, and the EPA has become involved.

Finally, the annual Young Lawyers Golden Gavel competition has rolled round again, and I have signed up to compete once again! This year, at least, I have a far greater political knowledge, and will be able to make snarky comments about our illustrious leaders!

Which leads me on to today's topic; the election. What a fizzer.

The Great 'Debate':
The first debate was held last night, and I want to highlight two comments which appeared in my newsfeed yesterday, shortly after the end of the debate. The first was from an old tutor of mine from politics at Adelaide Uni, and stated as follows:

"Abbott talked a lot about what he 'believed' but had no specific policies to address the most pressing issues for Australia into the future. Rudd outlined clear policies in relation to the economy, health care and the NBN. Bias aside, I think the latter was the clear winner of that debate."

Two posts later, this appeared from another friend of mine, with whom I have had some great arguments/debates about the left/right political scene. "Abbott is the clear winner of tonight's debate."

He then justified his views, but I disagree with his justifications. To paraphrase, 'relied too heavily on NBN, failed to answer questions on how he was planning to get out of the budget deficit given that we do need to spend, failed to answer which projects would be cut or which taxes would be increased... he also broke the rules on having notes. Abbott was at ease throughout the whole debate, Rudd needs public speaking lessons.'

I didn't watch the whole debate. I started watching, and got so pissed of with both of them that I turned it off, which for me, epitomises the entirety of this election. As one person commented, "I didnt watch the debate. I like to think I won".

And that is absolutely right! I didn't watch the debate because I couldn't stand watching an arrogant, jealous, small-minded oaf pretending to answer questions whilst instead spouting party lines and slogans, while a similarly arrogant, bigoted, small-minded oaf smirked and sneered. I don't care which way around you put it, either. Both of our leaders are too concerned with news-bites, grabs, and slogans to have any real knowledge of the policies. "What do I say if they ask this question?" "Who cares, just spout 'spend spend spend!'

I don't trust either candidate, and that is taking into account my left-leaning bias. I am moving away from any pretense at supporting Labor, but not because of the Coalition's policies (what are they again?), but because of Labor's ineptitude, in-fighting, and media dependence.

Slogans:
The worst part of this election for me is that slogans are becoming the policies, rather than the advertising. Abbott's primary policy is to criticise, and his slogans are all 'spend spend spend,' 'stop the boats,' and 'six-point plan.' We saw from Diaz's disastrous TV interview that the Libs are spending too much time teaching their candidates media avoidance and slogan chanting, and not enough time educating them on the content of the policies. Forget the fact that he was a new politician, he just didn't know the policies!

And then there is Rudd, who forgot, in one interview, the name of the Coalition candidate, AND the name of the electorate he was in!

Rudd's slogans are a bit more broad, but similarly devoid of content. "Regional solution", for example, or 'I think what Australians want is...' and 'Moving Forward!'

It is going to take a lot to re-engage me with either political party. I will never vote for the Libs, because of a long-standing bias, but until Labor gets its act together and puts up a leader who is inspiring, smart, and not dependent on the media, I will never vote for them either.

Bring on the independents!

No comments:

Post a Comment