Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Ride to Conquer Cancer Update

For those who don't know, I have signed up to the Ride to Conquer Cancer, which is raising funds for the Flinders Medical Centre Foundation. I have committed to riding over 200km over two days, to raise at least $2,500 towards essential cancer research and treatment.

The link to my fundraising page is www.tinyurl.com/RTCC-BarnabyGrant

Both my mother's mother, and my father's father have died from cancer. My Granny died after nearly two years of battling lung cancer, which spread to her bones. I was seven years old when she died.

My Grandpa in Canada died just before I turned 10, also of lung cancer, although he had previously battled throat and kidney cancer when I was about three years old. After suffering terribly through his first bouts of cancer, he chose not to be treated when it returned, and died within a few months of his diagnosis.

We all know people whose lives have been touched by cancer, whether directly, or through their family.

The money I am raising goes directly towards cancer treatment and research. Hopefully these funds can help in finding a way to alleviate the suffering caused by this disease.

Fundraising and Training
So, on to the training and fundraising update! Well, training is pretty much stalled. I fell sick last weekend, and I was in Adelaide last weekend, so I didn't get to go on any long rides. Ironically, I spent about $350 getting my bike serviced, including new chain, brakes, and cogs, but I haven't been able to ride it in the two weeks since!

The weather has also not cooperated. The time I had set aside two weeks ago was rained out, and it isn't yet light enough at night to go for rides after work. Oh well, this weekend should see me smashing out the kms.

Fundraising is ramping up. The fundraising dinner and auction on the 28th of September is drawing closer, and the prizes and auction items are beginning to arrive. I have received generous donations from Tim Gramp Wines, Bundaleer Wines, and lots of other fine, local wineries, as well as from lots of local businesses, stores, and people. The evening is looking like being a wonderful night. If you are in the Port Pirie area around the 28th of September, please contact me for a ticket! $65, including a two-course meal and cheese platter, plus a roaring fire.

I'll post more once I can boast more kilometers!

No comments:

Post a Comment